Home Forums Network YouTube policy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mike Foxworth

YouTube videos are a good way to communicate both externally and internally. The following document lists all the YouTube videos we have in the dcpn.group Gmail YouTube account. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ckVdZzmlweVcz9-IkgnTW1C_ErRTI2rv/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=114132987128718235303&rtpof=true&sd=true This is a view only link.
    I can convert this list (just a hasty set of screen capture images) into a list with the actual YouTube links so we can view them. And post the list here (I suppose).

This is the current content of our channel. Checked items are from DCPN/PNSN support group meetings. March 5th was uploaded yesterday. Of those checked, ones marked Public were ones that had been edited enough that I felt they could stand on their own. The other checked ones were unlisted but available as links on our website except the Joel Minton and Bill Reddy ones which were originally marked as private (not sure why – that’s the default setting and we probably just never followed through).
    All of the unlisted meeting videos (including the March 5th one) would need to be carefully edited to be made into useful Public ones. Unfortunately such editing needs some knowledge of PN to grasp the significance of what is being said so a useful Table of Contents can be created. the technical skills needed to edit are not the problem; they are easily learned. I found that it took me an hour or two to do a light edit (such as the March 5th one). The edits of the McCray and Clarke ones, where I moved some conversations around and took out dead air and did a TOC took 5-8 hours. (And then, with Clarke, my old editor tool died – would not generate the video – after I was done. I had to buy another tool, learn to use it for a less sophisticated edit result (because of time) and have not had a chance to edit the TOC to fit the somewhat different timings. Sigh)
    All other videos were intended for showing in meetings, or drafts or were for use by us for planning.
    Or, in the case of the videos extracted from Great Courses (now Wondrium), were intended as part of an attempt to set up a partnership with Great Courses to allow their materials to be widely used in support group meetings as part of a wider base of support for more support groups. And get Great Courses to develop a course on PN. I think they would jump at the chance but have never followed through. Lou was willing to help, but Covid struck and then Lindy got sick.
    We need to capture the Tishler video on Cannabis as backup – not sure how long it will be available. The advantage of that video (hosted on Zoom’s servers, vice YouTube) is that it puts the chat script side by side – not possible with YouTube.
    Our big parent church uses Vimeo for some of its videos – Advantage, I think, is that it does not put the viewer in Google’s privacy sucking cross-hairs. But costs money – our little branch church does not have as much money and uses YouTube.
    Jud is concerned with issues of “fair use” of copy righted material. I made a video (now deleted) using some short snippets from the Lord of the Rings movie. YouTube is sensitive to that and flagged some of the early versions. I made it public, which was probably a mistake. If we actually wanted to use it, I suspect we could get the rights for a small fee if we tried. I think a better version (responding to our internal critiques of the original content) would be fine if I just used static images (not videos) under the fair use doctrine.
    Mike

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top